Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas in Florida again but, different.

I hope all of you are happy and healthy this holiday season!

I spent Christmas down in West Palm Beach this year with my mom and Patrick. We enjoyed lots of yummy food, some long coffee drinking sessions on the porch before each day got started and a whirlwind, one-night trip to Key West! Here are a few (ok, more than a few) photos from my time down there. I need something to help remind me of that sunshine state-of-mind now that I'm back on the tundra.
Sunrise at my mom's place:
A quick stop on the side of the road to enjoy the aqua colored water during the latter part of our 4.5 hour drive down through the keys:
We finally arrived, checked in and then decided to head downtown for a short walk prior to dinner.
A church on Duval Street...
The larger than life sculpture in front of the Museum of Art & History.
My mom, enjoying the ferry ride over to Sunset Key for dinner at Latitudes!
Yep. That's how it looked.
An idea for another trip... :)
We arrived to Sunset Key just as the sun was setting and grabbed our table. Dinner was pretty special that night. We all left the island (fancy us on the free ferry, ha!) feeling very content and grateful.
The next morning, I woke up early and ventured out to take a few pics of our hotel.
Our hotel had 4 small and very hidden pools. There was so much foliage around each. Mom and I had one to ourselves for our swim! Of course only one shower in our room though...that we battled over in good humor. Our room was super air conditioned which made re-entry after a swim a little uncomfortable. Brr...
We ended up at Blue Heaven for breakfast on Friday morning. My friend Stephanie use to work there years ago and always raves about it so, we tried it out. They invite customers to come and "dine with the roosters"...and dine with the roosters we did! They were practically scampering over our feet. Funny. They served this Key Lime Pie that looked ridiculous. We were too full to order our own but, I managed to steal a quick shot of the towering meringue.
Hemingway's House was a tourist trap but, still cool.
Where he wrote...
Where he entertained...and kept an eye on all of his cats, (there is a feline graveyard).
Some pretty neat fixtures...
We arrived back in West Palm on Friday night and devoured pizza for dinner and fell into bed by 9:15p.

The next evening was Christmas Eve! We decided to go to Bethesda by The Sea for their Christmas Eve service. It was long-like, 3 hours long but, the Church was beautiful and the music was festive. I grabbed a few pictures from Flickr to give you an idea of what it looked like.
This is where we lined up to wait for the church to open their doors. Kind of weird but, necessary I guess. The BBTS service is quite popular so we had to get there early to get a spot.
I'm sure there are other details to share but, those are the highlights. Always nice to come home after some time away. See you all soon. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment