Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Fire of the Ring

Today was Day 9 of working from home. I'm practically a freelancer. I go back tomorrow. Thank GOD! I took my time getting up this morning once I realized all the snow had melted. Before I knew it it was 6:30pm and I hadn't gotten out of my pajamas--not for lack of trying. I was in the midst of conference calls, texts, emails, spinning plates, UPS deliveries while on conference calls--it was bananas. There's no sign of it slowing down either...not until January maybe? 

Being at home during the day is just one of the ways the last two weeks have been different. Hurricane Sandy is one of those defining moments here in NYC. It has been and will continue to be a big deal until shit isn't broken anymore and people have what they need. I don't want people to suffer but, Sandy was an equalizer. Some of the wealthiest people in the tri-state area were left in the dark and huddling under blankets in their swanky homes. Some of the homeless didn't seem as lowly to others who were temporarily beside them in despair. People talked to each other and many got in touch with how lucky they are to have what they have. HEAT! POWER!CLEAN WATER! HOT FOOD! So many don't have these things. If you've got them, be grateful.

Just when I thought things were calming down...triple whammy! The Election, Mom's ER visit and a second storm. 

Our country's young, progressive thinkers are growing up. They are influencing the direction of our country and the Republican base is shrinking. The GOP is not so grand these days but, they sure are old. So is their thinking. I am still dumbfounded by all that transpired on Tuesday night. So many victories!! Although I don't back legalizing weed. Sorry stoners. It's bad for you and eventually the Feds will get involved and tax you to your extinction.  Generally,  I'm proud of the way people voted and excited that there is a clear shift right now. Acceptance and understanding is so trendy. Let's all enjoy our cumbaya moment...at least until 2016. And please, for the love of God, somebody find a way to monitor campaign spending. It's embarrassing. 

My mom is resting comfortably at home but, for a moment things got pretty hairy. She experienced symptoms of a heart attack on Monday night so, Patrick took her to the ER. She was in a good spot because 72.35% of Florida is old people with heart problems. I'm pretty sure implanting a stent is like changing a lightbulb for those doctors. In the end, she has minor blockages but, no major heart issues. They released her yesterday afternoon. She will still need to follow up to find out what's causing her symptoms. But, for now...Big. Sigh. Of. Relief. 

Athena? OK, so...now we're naming winter storms? I do not back this move. Don't get me wrong. I love me some Jim "a cow just flew by" Cantore but, really? Let's stick to naming hurricanes. I usually like the first snow but, this snow was WRETCHED. I was in Manhattan yesterday afternoon with some friends when the wintery mix drenched all of us despite our attempts to use umbrellas. Forget about it. During those storms you just have to stay inside or wear a snowsuit. It came, people lost power again and a donations tent collapsed in Brooklyn from heavy snow. Aside from that, our Nor'easter wasn't so crazy. 

Am I still writing? This post is sort of all over the place but, so much is going on these days! Just trying to keep up. Skyfall tomorrow night. I'll watch Daniel Craig leave the room any day of the week! 

The title of this post was provided by: http://mdbenoit.com/rtg.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment