Monday, May 31, 2010

Costa Rica: Day 3

I was up early again on our 3rd day. I had some quiet time at the jacuzzi and enjoyed this view before Steve and I had breakfast.
We checked out at around 10am and started our drive to the Arenal Volcano! We knew this would be a longer drive and at times the roads would be questionable. Our route was very steep and curvy so, we took our time. There are some crazy drivers in Costa Rica. It took lots of energy to safely navigate through the mountains and avoid the traffic that sometimes veered into our lane. People don't really adhere to the traffic laws down there. Passing a car, going up a hill and around a corner is pretty standard. We learned to look out for that. Here are a few pics of the Costa Rican countryside.





This was a one lane bridge over a river. You decide when to cross.

Pit stop in The Cloud Forest:

We had a clear view of the Arenal Volcano which we were told is rare. Apparently, it's too foggy to see 9 or 10 months of the year.

Strange, ramen noodle type of rainforest plant that we saw in the hot springs:
Me, taking the picture above:
Steven doesn't swim-not even in the hot springs at the base a volcano. Boo. But, I finally did. There was a storm brewing just as we arrived to the hot springs. I waited to get in-hoping it would pass-but, it didn't. I put my dress and shoes on the ground by our chair and hopped in for a quick dip. The water was delightfully soft and warm. When I got out and slipped my wet feet into my shoes, I quickly realized they had been consumed by ants. I was being BITTEN!!! I jumped back into the hot springs and took my shoes with me. I rinsed everything off and left the hot springs in my towel. I carried my dress home in a bag.
Hotel visitor:

After our long drive through the mountains and our visit to the hot springs, we were beat. We ordered some room service. We thought we ordered fish but, we got Indian food? It wasn't great. Steve was asleep by 8:15pm. I finished watching some TV show about boats and then I closed my eyes. We were off to the volcano in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment