Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Opening.

This has been a long week...and I only worked 2.5 days of it! I spent a good chunk of time feverishly checking my work email in an effort to catch up on things I missed whilst in Costa Rica. I also prepped for my bro-in-law's arrival for this year's cabin opening, kicked my first kickball of the season, digested the fact that I've worked at JDK for 10 years (gulp), and to my surprise I got to see a not so long lost, friend. Seeing her smile really brightened my day yesterday.

I woke up with tired eyes this morning. I could have slept for another hour or so but, there was work to do. Cleaning! This happens to be my favorite type of work. I arrived at our family's cabin down in Charlotte, VT at around 9:15am. Jonathan and I chatted about what needed to be done over the weekend. He spent most of his day outside-starting with the two trees that fell during the winter. I started in the kitchen with the stove and then moved around the room: scrubbing, washing, drying, sweeping, moping. Three hours later, we had some lunch outside-cajun turkey sandwiches with some crisps. Eventually, I got to move on to the other rooms which all seemed to come together faster than the kitchen. All of a sudden it was dinner time! Where did the day go? I looked around the cabin before dinner. The windows were open and it smelled fresh and clean! I finished making up the last bed and then called it a day. We decided to make blue cheese burgers on the grill for dinner. It was a delicious reward for all of our hard work. We still have lots to do tomorrow but, today was very productive and satisfying. There's nothing better than to see this place come together after it's long winter sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment