Monday, June 14, 2010

Finally, some Sunday sunshine!

I woke up right around 7am yesterday morning with lots on my to-do list before Hannah's clothing swap and brunch at noon. The sky was gray. I took a nice long and peaceful walk to pick up some coffee before heading to the grocery store to purchase the food items I was going to prepare for the gathering. Hannah had asked me to bring fruit so, I found: strawberries, blackberries, kiwis, cantaloupe, honeydew and raspberries that looked good. While I was in the produce section I walked by a box of dates. I remembered how my Grandma Clair use to make stuffed dates with hard sauce with pecans on top... and how impatient I felt when we had to wait for the hard sauce to actually get hard. I picked up a little less than a pound of dates. I didn't have much time to put everything together so, I bought some buttercream frosting to use as the stuffing. I pitted the dates, and stuffed them with frosting and decided to roll them in almond granola so they were just a little more brunch appropriate. They were so easy and pretty tasty too! I spent the next 30 minutes cutting, scooping and melon balling (?) until the fruit bowl and I were ready to go.

Everyone who attended the clothing swap brought a little something to add to the brunch spread and some clothing items to share. Once brunch was over, we all moved into the living room to see the mountain of clothing that was up for grabs. There were so many great items in the mix. We went through the clothes for a couple of hours finding new items hidden underneath the pile until the very end. LZ discovered an amazing black sweater that no one had laid eyes on until she pulled it out from the bottom during the last 15 minutes of the swap. Fun times!

After brunch and a couple of mimosas, we chatted and had a little fun with Hannah's wig and hat collection. Here is lovely Lauren looking French Canadian chic and me looking like a sister of the 90's glam metal band Nelson.
A few ladies headed home and the rest decided to head down to Church Street to bask in the afternoon sun. There was some fun discussion, a celebrity sighting (in little old Burlington) and a few add-ons to the group. Somehow the sunny day was already winding down. A group of us decided to order take out from Bearded Frog in Shelburne. We had dinner al fresco at Crooked Path and watched the sun sink into the Adirondacks! Dinner was so easy and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.
Last night's sunset:
We all arrived home at around 10pm. I, eventually, fell into bed and didn't move a muscle until my alarm went off this morning. Gray skies again today... Summer, are you just an acquaintance? Arg.

No comments:

Post a Comment