Sunday, June 5, 2011

"Bright star, bright star, twinkity, twink..."

This weekend has been an interesting one for a number of reasons--one of them being that it's my first full weekend of living at the cabin. I left work on Friday and drove down to get things ready for a ladies dinner with Dana and Laura. We grilled, attempted the first of many paper decorations for Jay and Dana's wedding and wrote some bad poetry about wooden boys, pandas and anticedents which all somehow relate to our loose interpretation of...Christmas? The 3 poems we produced are currently being scanned for posterity. The next morning, we nibbled on some breakfast treats before heading into Burlington for Dana's first fitting. One word: WOW. After our appointment, we headed over to Penny Cluse for some brunch action and then out for a bit of shopping afterwards. As it turns out, we're a dangerous combination. We all walked away with a little something.

I headed back to the cabin later in the afternoon after having made plans to have AB and Max out for a visit. It was Max's first time out so we did a little exploring and then started the grill up. Dry rubbed chicken was on the menu along with asparagus and grilled zukes. Yum! After dinner we refreshed our drinks and headed outside into the darkness. OOoooOOO...We started by sitting in the front yard to watch the sun set. Eventually, we ventured out for a late night nature walk-the nighttime kind. The moon was bright and the stars...I can't remember the last time I've seen stars to bright. It was amazing. I wanted to try and get a photo but, didn't. Maybe tonight?

Max and AB headed out this morning and I started my day with a walk around the circle, (2.2 miles). I walked down North Shore Road. It was quiet. I looked at the mailboxes and remembered the time I had spent in many of the cabins throughout my lifetime. Stenciling for the first time with Grandma Jacob on the porch at Leif's cabin, The Cooper's Coop with Kathy, Toby, Rob and Ed, tennis with Marge Blake, meeting Liz Twitchell for the first time (she was one of the few kids on the road that we weren't related to) and of course the Curtis cabin that is for sale - again. Vermont is a special place. I've made so many memories here. Knowing that there are so many more to be made makes me smile.

Head out into the woods and let your eyes adjust. You can see so much some nights. It's been a bit of an adjustment for me to get use to the dark and to the quiet but, I'll get there. After all, shutting off all of the noise in the world is getting harder and harder to do. Peace is becoming a luxury.

1 comment: