Thursday, November 26, 2009

Being thankful...

This Thanksgiving, I'm reminded of how lucky I am to have such a full life. The key is to be thankful today and everyday for family, friends, health, good food, laughter, warmth and a roof over your head! Life is busy and sometimes we get caught up in it's challenges. Is easy to forget what we DO have and how fortunate we really are.

Today, I was at Steven's house for Thanksgiving! A group of 8 of us, including Steven's mom and sister, gathered around his table to gobble up turkey w/gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots, creamed spinach, squash, rolls, cranberry sauce, green beens and more. It was a feast! We ate what we could and shared the leftovers with each other at the end of the night.

My contribution to dinner was creamed spinach c/o my sister's recipe. It was my first time making a roux, which I learned is the simplest thing in the world to make! It requires a little butter, flour and milk and then you're on your way.

To make the creamed spinach, I softened up one sweet onion. Then, I added the cooked spinach and a bit of salt & pepper to the pot. I mixed the whole thing together with the roux and parmesan cheese...and finally a tablespoon of sour cream. It was pretty good!
Here is the beautiful bird, right out of the oven!
Mary and I were ready to roll up our sleeves and get right down to the serious business of eating turkey...the dark meat!
I think we had one dessert for each person present! There was raspberry pie, apple pie, cupcakes, muffins, pumpkin cake, s'mores brownies...oh, and we forgot about the ice cream. We were too preoccupied with the goodness that was directly in front of us.
Mmmhmmm....
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope you all had a delightful day.
Loveyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment