Saturday, February 6, 2010

100.

I've written 100 posts in just over 8 months. I have to be honest, I didn't know if I would want to take the time to maintain a blog but, it's been lots of fun so far. Here's to 100 more!

I spent most of today cleaning and cooking. I haven't really had a chance to heat things up in my kitchen in the last few weeks so, I decided I would make something new for dinner. When I was in NYC earlier this week, I had dinner at Ssäm on 2nd Ave. It was one of the most interesting meals I've had in a long time. We had oysters, steamed pork buns, grapefruit cream pie, (I'm not entirely sold on this one) and my personal favorite of the night, their brussels sprouts. I'm not usually a fan but, this time I was pleasantly surprised. When I was planning tonight's meal, I thought of the brussels sprouts and looked them up. The Momofuku Recipe was the first result I found! They were pretty tasty.

Momofuku Brussels Sprouts
- serves 8 as a side dish -
Ingredients
For Brussels sprouts
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

For dressing
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons finely chopped mint
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro stems
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (1 1/2-inch) fresh red Thai chile, thinly sliced crosswise, including seeds. (I used dried and halved the amount.)

For puffed rice (optional)
1/2 cup crisp rice cereal such as Rice Krispies
1/4 teaspoon canola oil
1/4 teaspoon shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven-spice blend)

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 450°F with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Trim and halve the Brussels sprouts, toss with oil, and roast, cut side down on baking sheet, for 20-35 minutes, depending on size and desired taste. They should brown but remain somewhat firm.
2. Meanwhile, stir together the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
3. If making puffed rice, cook ingredients together in a small skillet until toasted and slightly browned.
4. When sprouts are done, transfer to a serving bowl and add just enough dressing to coat. Top with more chopped mint or cilantro, and puffed rice if using.

No comments:

Post a Comment