Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm getting up there...

... figuratively and literally! I've just celebrated by 32nd birthday. I am THIRTY-TWO. Wow, time flies, (so tempting but, I'll go easy on the puns this time). This year, I didn't really make plans for my birthday. I just wanted to enjoy the day and let things happen. My friends and family really made this birthday special. 

Thanks to Jay, Maegen, Marin and Nelia for putting together an amazing picnic spread on Monday night. What a treat it was to dine at the top of Mount Philo and watch the sunset. 
 
Our cupcakes were filled with personality.
 "The Mastermind" of this genius plan, Jay Curley
Lots of yummy food to nibble on...
Miss Nelia and I  
The evening's entertainment couldn't have been any better. 
Yesterday was my actual birthday. Things were pretty standard until I popped out of the office early to meet up with Isaac. He had asked if I was able to leave work by 4pm to meet him for a birthday adventure. We drove south. Along the way I hypothesized about what this, "experience" might be. I made a few guesses finally stumbling on one that seemed, possible. Then I said, "No, you know me better than that. You wouldn't...would you?" Well, a few minutes later we drove into the Morrisville Airport for a ride in a glider, thanks Isaac!! The weather was perfect and the wind was light. We were towed up to 3,500 feet in an engine-less glider with  one wheel. The plane towing us dropped the line and then we just slipped back down to the earth a few feet at time...for the most part. After consulting with us, our lady pilot took a couple of crazy turns that were SUPER fun. But, I know me. I would have lost my cookies if she kept it up.
Here is our approach to the runway. You've only got one shot in this thing...you can't go back up.
Here is the plane that towed us up...then, let us go.
crazy turns=crazy laughter
Isaac and I after the glider ride
Yes, that's right. A golf cart on the runway is part of protocol. 
After our 20 minute ride was over we hopped in the car and headed back to Burlington, at least that's what I thought we were doing. Fooled again. Isaac asked if I wanted to grab a quick drink somewhere before heading to Burlington for dinner with friends. I said sure and suggested, The Alchemist in Waterbury. I called up Steven to let him know when I would be back to meet him. Little did I know that Steven and Rucchi were already inside The Alchemist waiting for me to arrive. Haha. "I thought I picked this restaurant??!!" I said.  So, the four of had a lovely surprise dinner! When I arrived home at 9:30pm I was exhausted and so happy. What an amazing couple of days. Even little Gretchen sang Happy Birthday to her Auntie Kimmy. Thanks to everyone who made my day special! xo

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Very impressive:) What a neat experience. And HOLY COW-those cupcakes. Yum. Think we could climb Philo with G and the kiddos? (the kiddos in back packs of course)

    ReplyDelete