Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lucky Lanterns

Yesterday, I drove to NY with Anthony and Rob to hit up, what some would say is, the largest annual "yard sale" in the area. I was well equipped with a fanny pack which made for easy, hands-free shopping. After making a quick stop at Anthony's house on Schroon Lake, we headed to the sales. I had such a hard time not stopping at all of the yard sales set up on the road leading to the town holding this event. There was SO many! Finally, after scoring a prime parking spot that would allow for a speedy exit at the end of the day, we started browsing. There was so much to see. I was sort of amazed at the prices. These people weren't your average sellers. They were charging $125 for a set of four, vintage, aqua colored glasses with a matching pitcher. Hmph. Next.  
There were so many food offerings, some better than others. We walked and walked snacking on hot, candied pecans along the way. YUM!   

The highlight of the day for me (aside from the QT with Anthony) was my one purchase. Throughout the early afternoon, I saw a number of people walking by with bunches of Chinese Lanterns. I've been wanting a bunch for myself but, I've never had much luck finding them around here. Yesterday, I was searching the tents, barns, front yards and side streets for the person who was selling these beauties. Finally, we stepped off the main street and headed into this small nook filled with lovely antique furniture. There were three women sitting at a table just outside of a barn. For no good reason, I decided to ask them about the lanterns. "Excuse me, do you know where I might find the Chinese Lanterns that I've seen people walking around with today?" One woman responded, "Yes, we sell them and they are sold out!" How could this be? Out of the hundreds of vendors that filled the streets, I picked the one that sold just what I was looking for. I was amazed. They were so surprised by this that they decided to go out back and cut me my own, fresh, bunch of lanterns for $5. I was so happy that I had, for some strange reason, decided to ask these women about them. They just looked like they might know.They are drying in my living room now! 
The colors at Schroon Lake:

No comments:

Post a Comment