Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Painting, peanuts and potted plants...

Almost two years ago now, my sister, father and I met to realize the future of our family cabin which is located on Thompson's Point in Charlotte, VT. This special spot has been occupied and cared for by many of our family members for the last 80 years! It has been meticulously maintained by a number of people, (most recently by my Dad) each person taking the time to respect all that makes staying there so special. My sister Jenny and I have started out on what will be an adventure for sure. It's our turn to preserve the cabin and it's legacy. This is no small task but, something my sister and I are happy to do. 


This past week Jenny and her family drove up from Williamsburg, VA to open the cabin with me. We encountered a few challenges including the discovery of some nuts in the couch that a creature had left for us as a welcome back gift, one dead bush in the front yard, some mouse droppings and a hole in a pillow that we'll need to sew up. Aside from those issues, the opening went smoothly. We were only left with the challenge of how to get the big projects, like paint the porch, done in between naptime and diaper changes. It was chaotic at times. We all left tired but, satisfied with our progress.


Gretchen Charlotte is a darling and becoming very opinionated. She is an ice cream lover. She also loves Nemo...as in "Finding Nemo" the animated movie about the fish. Never tell her you're having fish for dinner because she'll respond immediately with, "fish are friends, not food!" She used the word, “asterisk” to identify a shape (and she was right!) while I was there and at one point told Jenny she was “frustrated.” Pretty entertaining to hear her speak the words she has filed away in her vocabulary archives.


The twins are adorable and very social. Putting them down in the "pack-n-play" by themselves usually brought them to tears. Oliver Timothy is getting stronger by the day! I found myself gently wrestling with all four of his limbs to get his diaper on successfully. He is much more vocal than the last time he and I visited and will soon be asking if you could, “please pass the sweet potato puffs.” I can identify with Miss Adeline Violet. She seems down to earth, lively and slightly devious. She makes the funniest faces and sounds. She has a wild head of hair that was lots of fun at bath time. She is very delicate in her demeanor and in her appearance and has a slight frame compared to Oliver. What a trip!


Loveyoufamily.














1 comment: