Thursday, June 18, 2009

A costly trip...but, worth it.

Last night, I headed out of Burlington right around 6pm to have dinner with some family including my Grandmother, “Grandkee Clair” and my Dad, “Eagle Nose” who were visiting from Indiana. It was a lovely, sunny evening but, when I arrived the light was already low and dusk was settling in. Uncle Tuck and Aunt Susan are tucked away in Lincoln, VT and the hills rise up around their property. They lose the light quickly there.


The five of us caught up on all sorts of things while dinner was being prepared. Before sitting down to eat, I spent some time admiring Susan’s extensive owl collection-some (like this guy below) in almost every room!  

Susan cooked a wonderful salmon dish with maple syrup drizzled overtop and homemade strawberry rhubarb pie a la mode for dessert.  

Yummy!

After dinner, Dad and I attempted to take a few quick pictures before the light outside was gone entirely. Here are the results. I’m not so good with such a powerful flash.

After our shoot, Dad and I  went back inside to join Susan, Tuck and Grandma. Post-dinner topic: Travel, to places like China, Switzerland, Antarctica (although Tuck thinks Antarctica would be boring with no mountains and all of that snow) and Newfoundland as it's close-relatively speaking. 

Newfoundland has a special place in my Dad's heart. He used to fly in and out of Newfoundland when he was in the Coast Guard years ago. He tells stories about how he used to hang out of the back of C-130's to take "measurements" of icebergs (?). Finally, the maps came out and I learned how big Newfoundland actually is and what part of it makes the most sense to visit-if I'm lucky enough to travel there someday. Fun!

My 94 year old "Grandkee Clair" is getting more grand with each year that passes!

At around 9:30 or so I decided to head home. I said my goodbyes for now, and hopped in my car. The roads between Lincoln and Hinesburg are dark. I used my high beams while driving over the hills and around the corners. All was well until...blue flashing lights.!!! Hmph. Yep. I was pulled over for going 61 in a 50. The man cop was very friendly. When he returned to my car to deliver the verdict he said, “I’m not big on tickets or lectures. Tonight, you’re getting both. You said you were visiting your Dad. Well, I’m a dad. Last night on this road, a Suburban hit a moose. If you had hit a moose in your car your best case scenario would be, a visit to the hospital. Do you have questions?” I said, “No. Thank you.” He was right. So, I continued on my way, driving slowly and carefully back to Burlington feeling thankful that the moose had other plans on this occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment