Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Three mistakes and a small victory.

Last night, I enjoyed a mellow evening with my friend Steven. We went to dinner at The Asiana Noodle Shop where we ordered up some jasmine tea, barbecued chicken samosas, pork dumplings and a huge bowl of five spice chicken noodle soup.  After dinner, we were hoping to take advantage of the Jazz Fest and catch some music on Church St. It seemed to be a quiet evening with most of the performances ending at 8pm. So, we called it a night. After I watched Steven engage in a quick spin of the giant padlock sculpture on lower Church St., I walked home and fell into bed.

At 6am this morning my body woke up all on it’s own-just my body. Mind? Nope, not awake. I definitely wasn’t ready for the day to begin. I fell back asleep (my first mistake) only to find myself late when I woke up again at 8am. I decided to give up on an on time arrival to work and rest for just 15 more minutes before getting vertical (my second mistake). This decision of course resulted in me having only 10-15 minutes to get myself together and out the door for work. Another decision was made. Skip the shower (my third mistake). So, by 8:45am there I was, half asleep, sitting in front of my computer, feeling exhausted and totally disenchanted with the prior sequence of events.

I was moderately productive at work despite the slight pinching I felt from the toothpicks that were holding up my eyelids. I knew I needed to turn things around or I was just going to feel cranky all day. I left for lunch at around 11:50. I popped into the bank and then home for a quick change into some running clothes. I had mapped out a running route in my head before I got home. I had no concept of how far it was but, it seemed manageable. I was off. Up Maple St., past the Burlington Country Club on Prospect St., down Ledge St. and returning to Maple via South Willard St. The run felt great. I later learned that the run was 2.4 miles which is a good distance to get me back into the swing of things. After a quick shower and some lunch I was back at my desk feeling energized and motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment