Sunday, June 14, 2009

Found!

It’s Sunday evening and I have pink cheeks and shoulders from a weekend spent outside in the sunshine. This condition is most often the result of some fun outdoor activities and of course the application of sunscreen a bit too late in the day. Oops! May and June have been rainy months here in Vermont. So, I’m grateful to see the sun and feel her warm rays during the weekend when I'm free to be outside.

Yesterday, I was up and out the door early in preparation for a day of yard saleing! I am a minimalist. It’s probably fair to classify me as a person who has a fear of clutter. I’m not usually inclined to search for more “stuff” but, I love the hunt for treasures. Occasionally, I am lucky enough to find one.

Yesterday was my day! The three of us (Allison, Isaac and I) were on the road at 8:15am. We were all on time and in good spirits. Oh…you should know that Allison and Isaac are skilled in the art of yard saleing and both have some pretty amazing items to substantiate this claim. We started off on North Avenue, weaving around the streets, searching for florescent pink and green signs nailed to telephone poles. We hit a number of sales on our way to and through Colchester before stopping for lunch at Foodies in Essex: pizza and a cold beer to cool down when the sun was at it’s hottest. Then, we continued along to South Burlington and finally drove by (rats!) the sales that ended at 2pm in the South End of Burlington. I was dropped off at home just before 3pm. What a day! Oh...and yes, I'm a total nerd for taking pictures of my finds. 

The highlights:

Four bundles of assorted cards, some of which were created by hand on antique letterpresses. $13. We decided it was probably $200 worth of cards…Yippee!

A vintage postcard, copyright 1905, .25 cents.

A quilt set. This was one of my "big" purchases. When I stop at yard sales I get into this mindset. Nothing should cost more than $1 or $2 unless it's furniture or a bike (Allison picked up the latter on Saturday for $15, nice!). These two quilts set me back $10 but, I thought they would be a nice addition to the collection of blankets at the cabin. They are not handmade but, their color combinations caught my eye and they are sure to get used on cold nights on the porch. 

Here’s an unexpected one. Vintage high wasted jeans for $1. Allison picked these up and handed them over to me and said, “these are yours.” I had my fingers crossed that they would fit. I got them home and to my surprise they did!

Until the next time…happy hunting.

2 comments:

  1. We should totally go garage sale-ing!
    No one ever wants to go with me...
    good to find another aficionado.
    _Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it. you're on my friend!

    ReplyDelete